Gridiron Guacamole and Red Zone (Spicy) Guacamole
GRIDIRON GUACAMOLE AND RED ZONE (SPICY) GUACAMOLE
2 ripe large avocados
½ cup green pepper
½ cup orange pepper
½ cup yellow pepper
½ cup red pepper
½ cup red onion
½ cup tomato
¼ cup cilantro
2 limes (or ¼ cup lime juice)
Dash of coarse sea salt
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Cut limes in half and squeeze juice into cup.
2. Cut avocados in half. Remove seed. Scoop out avocado from the peel, put in a mixing bowl.
3. Use a wooden spoon and mash the avocado. (Do not mash too hard. Guacamole should not be smooth like a spread, it should be a little chunky.)
4. Pour lime juice over avocados and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Chop all of the vegetables. If you are making Red Zone Guacamole chop the jalapeño.
6. Chop cilantro.
7. Remove avocado and lime juice from the refrigerator. Pour into large mixing bowl. Add the chopped vegetables, cilantro, salt and mix. (If you are only making one version, add optional ingredients and skip to step 9.)
8. Scoop half of the mixture out and put it into a separate bowl. Add jalapeño, cumin and cayenne to one bowl and mix some more. Label this bowl “red zone.”
9. Cover bowls with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with tortilla chips.
The key to guacamole is having ripe avocados. Add the vegetables and herbs that you enjoy to personalize your guacamole. Comment below and share your variations. Enjoy!